Note: This recipe makes 3 cups frosting & around 24 cupcakes.
Ingredients for Cupcakes:
- 2 cups almond or coconut milk. I used Nature’s Forest Simple Coconut Milk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 cups gf all-purpose flour (I used Bob's Red Mill Paleo baking mix but Bob's Red Mill GF baking flour works as well)
- 1 cup super fine almond flour
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup melted refined coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
Ingredients for Strawberry Buttercream Frosting:
- 1 cup cold grass-fed butter (I use @kerrygold brand)
- 1 cup raw honey (I suggest a lighter colored honey to ensure the flavor is mild)
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 pound fresh strawberries, diced
Directions for Cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 350F. Combine 2 cups milk with lemon juice and set aside to sour.
- Line a cupcake pan with paper liners
- In a large bowl, mix together dry ingredients—flour(s), sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt until well combined
- Mix in oil, vanilla, and sour milk with a whisk or mixer and beat until blended and smooth. Don't over-beat!
- Pour mixture into lined cupcake pan
- Bake for 20-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out with a few crumbs. More or less time may be needed depending on your oven.
- Let cupcakes cool before removing from pan. Before applying frosting, they must be cool or frosting will melt. I suggest waiting at least 30 minutes before applying icing.
Directions for Strawberry Buttercream Frosting:
- Fit standing mixer with the flat beater. If you don't have a standing mixer, you can use a hand mixer or food processor instead.
- Add butter, honey and vanilla to the bowl and mix on low speed until the butter starts to soften. Increase speed and whip until creamed, about 1 minute.
- Add chopped strawberries and mix again on low speed to incorporate strawberries.
- Stop mixer and scrape down frosting using a spatula.
- Once cupcakes are cool, apply frosting. I use a piping bag to apply frosting, but if you don’t have one, you can certainly just apply with a knife.
Note: This could be great with a tablespoon of Glow Flow Chefs Energizing Matcha Blend. You can add it into the dry ingredients if you want to give this recipe a boost!